Skip to main content

Home Modifications

I remember sitting with my counselor, Elaine, on a bitterly cold day, during the winter of 2014. I had been experiencing ankle and foot pain for almost a year at that point and I was not handling things very well. Since I had yet to be diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, I was confused and frustrated by my physical limitations. I was no longer working and I was completely exhausted all of the time. My big accomplishment of the day was getting out of bed, getting dressed and making it into Elaine's cozy office that morning. 

Sitting on her couch with tears in my eyes, I described the daunting task of housework, especially my struggles with laundry. Since the washer and dryer are in the basement, I had to gather everything from the main floor, bring it downstairs to be washed, dried and folded and then carry it back upstairs. Living in our home since 2003, this had never been a problem for me. Now, it was literally impossible. I felt guilty. My husband would get up at 3:45 am and go to work, come home, take care of everything outside the home, fix and maintain our vehicles, and now he was coming home to piles of dirty laundry, a dishwasher full of dishes and a house in disarray. 



I felt like my whole world had been turned upside down. I would toss the laundry down the stairs and hobble down step by step, so at least I was attempting to maintain my home. It would take me all day to plan and organize dinner. I didn't want Steve to know chores were so difficult for me. 




As I explained my woes to Elaine, I felt like I was speaking about someone else. Her words resonate with me to this day. Change is inevitable. People experience it everyday. Accidents happen. Diseases are diagnosed. Things can change in an instant. Adjustment times are necessary. Be kind to yourself. Ask for help.

May 15th will be a year since I was officially diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. My Rhuematologist is still trying to find a successful treatment for me. I am still tired and my home is certainly not the organized and clean home it once was. However, I have begun to look at things differently and my husband has even begun to adapt our home to make things easier for all of us.







His first idea tackled our biggest issue. 
Laundry.










Since a corner of our master bedroom sits over a corner of the basement laundry room, Steve designed a laundry shoot. This empty corner of our bedroom has become a beneficial addition in our day to day lives.







This wonderful box delivers a separate space to store extra towels, while providing a direct path straight down to a bin in the laundry room.

Brilliance!






This delightful alternative to lugging piles of clothing downstairs has been happily accepted by our kids who reside on the 2nd floor, as well!




While my dear, sweet husband devises new ways for me to do things in our home, I look for ways to adapt on a daily basis. 












Stay tuned for my next blog, "Attitude Modifications", and I will share a few things that have helped me shift my perspective and cope better with Psoriatic Arthritis.


Peace!
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Modifications

As my husband facilitates ideas to make my life easier in the house , I have been adjusting and attempting to modify my attitude. May 5th marks one year since my Rhuematologist officially diagnosed me with PsA. The Fibromyalgia determination came just two months ago. Being pronounced with autoimmune diseases is kind of like running a race without a finish line. I spent a long time trying to find out what was causing the pain and fatigue, only to discover there would never be a means to an end.  Thus begins a process much like grief:   Denial - Much like when I was diagnosed with depression, I just shook my head when it began to soak in that I had an autoimmune disease. So much so, that I refused to take the meds and began reading everything I could get my hands on that would discredit the diagnosis. Methotrexate? No, thank you. A chemo medicine for arthritis? Are you crazy? The realization that my doctor might be correct in his conclusions just spiraled into a slow burn of fury.

Sleep. Creep. Leap.

It's been awhile. Did you miss me, I wonder?  I've been drifting about on the clouds of memory fog and forgetfulness that accompany conditions like psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia. (My family gets a kick out of my loopiness.) The plethora of doctor appointments and hospital stays have kept me pretty occupied, as well. Since autoimmune dysfunction assaulted my life, I have come to accept most things as they appear with much less stress than before. Perhaps time heals. Now if I could just remember to schedule that massage... Having been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2014, I am much more invested in the reality of this disease now. I have read, asked questions, written, researched, traveled and cried. Knowing what I know now, I wish I wouldn't have been so hard on myself. A gift from my daughter, Alesha, may have been the the gentle nudge I needed to truly realize this. She gave me a rose bush for Mothers Day the same year I was diagnosed with psoriatic ar

My Story - Let me go back to catch you up - 1985

Seventeen years old. Graduating High School. The world at me feet....and an irritated, itchy, red, I'm gonna-tear-my-head-off scalp. Ugh. I thought maybe I had dandruff. I went to a drug store and bought Head and Shoulders shampoo. Certainly that would clear up the problem. Not so much. I tried Selsun Blue . Ok. I guess I will try something else. The 80's dandruff solutions were pretty slim pick ins and the itching had become ridiculous, so I made an appointment with my doctor.  Psoriasis. What the heck is Psoriasis? How did I get it? My doctor suggested this skin condition may be genetic and that I had too much stress in my life. My scalp had become so itchy as I began college, so I figured it must be stress. After all, I had just experienced an infamous right of passage and it was an exciting time. Maybe "good" stress could make this happen. My quest began. In the past 29 years I have tried many things to relieve stress. Acupuncture, deep breathing, exercis